Monday, September 7, 2015

I am blessed to teach.



It was more than a year ago when I received a text message and call from Mapua Institute of Technology Makati offering me a teaching job. I have always wanted to teach. I think it runs in my blood. Few of my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins were (are) in academe. Also, I like the academic calendar. Students' holidays are my holidays too. But when I met students and other faculty members, I realized that my desire to teach is more than the academic calendar. It is my calling. It is passion. I was offered a subject that I was hesitant to handle so I thought I wouldn't get the job. I thought that if it's really for me, there will be next time. After couple of days, I received another call from the Sir Ken (our OIC and program coordinator) whom I owe the teaching opportunity I have right now and he offered me minor subjects. I was informed that I will be handling four classes. For a beginner like me, it was really a good start. I was entrusted four regular classes! I was so nervous and excited all at the same time. I was assigned Economics subjects (my college degree was put into something useful) and Business Ethics. At first, I didn't know what to do but I was guided and become quite confident because I know it's what I wanted to do. I had classrooms full of students not to mention teenagers who were really proactive and noisy. Patience really is a virtue. It takes so much patience to handle teenagers. Some of them became my students again and some I would bump into at the hallways and will greet me with all smiles. The next four terms became much easier. It did help that I have really good students. Some would tell me how they missed me because I am no longer their teacher. Some would even visit me at the faculty room. Some would come to me and tell me about their crushes, boyfriend/girlfriends and broken hearts. And a lot would express their interests in rushing me into having a boyfriend. Yup, even my students are into date searching for their very single teacher. I'd say I am lucky to have this job and meet all the faculty members who have become my friends and my students who look up to me but more than being lucky, I am blessed to have been given the chance to guide and mold my students. I had students who unfortunately failed their subjects but I have seen them improved their performance in class and it makes me even more proud to be considered a teacher, an educator, professor, mentor and friend to my students because I know they listen to what I say. I am not the best person to conduct a lecture and discussion. At times, I feel lazy too or I lose my voice. Sometimes, I am also disorganized. But I know I am trying my very best to be someone that these students will look up to. I want to be an inspiration to these kids. And I will continue to learn and strive harder for these young people that I intend to guide and teach until they graduate from college.

No comments: