Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Goodbye, Kuya

Earlier this afternoon, our family bid goodbye to my uncle, my mother's eldest brother (whom I fondly call Kuya Peping and Daddy Kuya for my other cousins) for the last time. He passed away last July 12, 2013. He is supposed to celebrate his 64th birthday on August 1 had he lived longer. He was sick and became to weak. He was hospitalized couple of times already. I was badly hoping he would recover, that he would be healthy again but he didn't. He left for good. I am so hurt not only because he is my uncle but during his last few weeks, he would let me cook his food. He was known to be a foodie and picky when it comes to food. There were times that he would send me text message when he finally decides what to eat. And I gladly cooked for him because I wanted him to recover. I wanted him to be able to play golf again. I wanted him to be able to join us when we'd eat a lot. And it's never gonna happen again.

I never knew what it felt like to lose a loved one and a family member until I saw Kuya Peping lying in the hospital bed without life maybe because I was just 7 years old when Tatay (my maternal grandfather) died and 16 years old when Ka Auring (my father's eldest sister) died. For hours, we were just staring at him that unfortunate day. It was so painful that I couldn't find the proper words to describe what I feel. It still hasn't sinked in me yet that we will never gonna see him again.

Dear Kuya,

I am not sure if I was able to say thank you for all the things you have done for our family. If I didn't, forgive me and THANK YOU. Thank you for the times you stood by our family when Papa and Mommy were hospitalized. I would have not survived their confinement if you weren't there with me at the hospital. You patiently visited and waited at the hospital when Papa had an operation. You didn't leave Mommy when she was confined last October 2012. That was the first time I saw you crying and I was so touched. I grew up looking at you as a tough man. Thank you for the Diamond Hotel treat years ago. Thank you for reminding us that we are one good family. Thank you for telling me that my neon orange nail polish looks nice. Thank you for smiling when I bring you food. Thank you for letting me cook your meals. Thank you for uniting our family but I wish it wasn't because you're leaving for good. We are all sad but we know you're at peace, happy and finally joining Tatay, Nanay, Diko Mark and our creator. 

Felipe Conrado Sioson Soyangco *** August 01, 1949 - July 12, 2013


No comments: