Monday, July 29, 2013

Remedies to Swollen Gums

Back in 2005, I had my gums trimmed due to gingivitis. It was my most painful dental operation. I never had any tooth extraction until last month. My wisdom teeth came out really late. The dentist said that it should come out at my early twenties but am already at mid twenties when I first felt how people say, 'the pain is intolerable when wisdom tooth comes out'. It really is painful!! But I had no choice. My only option is to have my wisdom teeth removed. Yes, teeth. I have four. All of them are too eager to came out. After the tooth extraction, just when things are getting normal again, I had swollen gums!!! Another intolerable pain. I was so scared that I might undergo trimming again so I immediately consulted my dentist. Here's what she said:

1. Change my toothpaste. From my old toothpaste for sensitive teeth, I changed into toothpaste for sensitive gums.

2. Use Orahex mouthwash. This one I think is very effective.

3. After the swelling has subside, I would come back to her for some cleaning procedure.

Again, I didn't want to go under some dental operation so I searched for home and natural remedies for swollen gums and I've found really effective ways to treat my swollen gums. After about 2 weeks, I've seen positive results. And here's what I've tried:

1. Gargle with warm water and rock salt.

2. Gargle with warm water and freshly squeezed lemon.

3. Drink freshly squeezed lemon juice (hot or cold).

4. Apply some lemon juice with rock salt (until it forms into a paste mixture) to the swollen area. Let it stay for about 2 minutes and gargle with warm water.

5. Apply a ginger paste (grated ginger and rock salt) to the swollen area. This feels hot though in the mouth so be careful. Let it stay for 2 minutes and gargle with warm water afterwards.

I've read in the internet that lemon and ginger are anti-inflammatory so it will help treat swollen gums. Good thing that I love freshly squeezed lemon. Usually, I mix it warm water to make a lemon tea. As I've said, after about 2 weeks, I've seen positive results. Swollen gums has been treated! These home remedies are just additional ways to treat swollen gums. It is always better to consult professional help from our dentists.

No comments: